Sunday, August 21, 2011

Gone Fishing

From dates at Bass Pro Shop eating in their fish restaurant, to short vacation trips along creeks in TN, my husband is crazy about fishing. So of course when his sons were born he was so excited to have boys to fish with. I myself do not touch the fish or a fishing pole for that matter, but I do thoroughly enjoy sitting along the creek bank and taking pictures.
As soon as Elijah was big enough to hold a pole he was tagging along. His first was a Scooby Do fishing pole with orange fish attached to the line. He loved "catching" it over and over and became quite good at casting early on. Our first family (Elijah, Dale and myself) vacation included fishing in North Carolina and a cabin rental with more fishing in Gatlinburg.


Levi accompanied us to the creek last spring in his infant carrier. This spring he trotted through the grass uncertain he wanted it touching him if he stunbled and fell while I tagged behind picking him up quickly when he fell.
Today when Daddy got home from work Mommy suggested we all go down to the creek. This would be Levi's first 'real' fishing trip. He doesn't have a pole of his own (gasps) so he used a pole Daddy made Elijah when his first fishing pole was broken.



He was absolutely adorable running tagging along behind Daddy and big brother Elijah carrying that fishing pole. He thought he was a big shot too! He stopped frequently to spin the reel to hear the noise it would make.


When Daddy caught his first fish ( I think it turned out to be the only fish on this short trip ) he was excited to let Levi be part of the catch. So as he always has done with Elijah he held his reel out for Levi to help bring in the fish.




       When Levi saw the fish he no longer wanted anything to do with Daddy's pole. I love his little face and that dirty little hand! Just a few months ago he was eager to touch all the fish and Mommy was worried Daddy would let him be rough and hurt the fish.





We had to back away from the water and find something else to do. So we decided to see what Elijah was into and toss a few rocks in the creek.
I will always cherish these memories of walking along the creek bank with my precious babies but I can't help but feel a little guilty because Daddy doesn't get to really fish and has to stop and head home when one of us gets tired.

I love this picture Elijah was telling Levi how cute he was with his fishing pole. Mommy and Daddy are so blessed with these handsome little boys in our lives.
I will leave you with a line from a country song I heard on the radio...
Throwin’ back what we could fry
          Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
          Nothin’ too ambitious
          She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
          What’s really goin’ on right now
          But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’